BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baby Makin' Recipe

I realize I'm writing this post a day after my appointment, but I was so exhausted by the time I made it home yesterday, I barely had enough energy to shower and go to bed. 
My appointment with Dr. G in summary was very hopeful. We arrived ON-TIME (just barely) and as I sat in the waiting room, I started to get nervous about the results of my ultrasound.  I was quickly called back to Dr. G.'s office and we proceeded with the follow-up.


Bloodwork - My blood work results didn't indicate anything suspicious except for my elevated Prolactin levels that were 0.4ng/mL over the normal range.  The doctor didn't seem to be overly concerned with this but he decided we are going to continually check it as part of my "Baby Makin' Recipe".  He also wasn't overly concerned with my elevated Protein C levels which suggests that I don't have any coagulation issues.  My MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) was negative so we don't have to worry about that either.  So far so good.


Ultrasound Images - Unbeknownst to me, I have 4 fibroids that are outside of my uterus.  The size of them are pretty small, with the largest of the four being 2.3cm x 2cm x 1.8cm.  Dr. G was inconclusive about what this means for me in terms of my fertility and if this is related to my miscarriages.  He presented two options:  We explore having them removed or we leave them alone.  Removal consists of a *real* surgical procedure that will cause me to be out of commission for 6-8 weeks to recover.  Plus they cut thru your abdomen...sounds scary!!!  With the other option, we'll just have to continue to watch them.  Unfortunately, as he explained, fibroids are hard to assess and it's hard to know if they are harmful or if they impede with TTC.  However, this is something he wants us to keep in our thoughts as we proceed with finding the best ingredients for my "Baby Makin' Recipe".  For now he wants to leave them alone.


The Recipe is as follows:

  • Dr. G. has prescribed me Femera (Letrozole) which is a ovulatory stimulant.  I'm to start taking it my next cycle on CD 3-CD 7 (5 days)
  • Prolactin blood draw on one day during CD 1-3
  • An ultrasound will be performed on CD 13 to check for follies (number and size).  Also on this day, I will have another prolactin blood draw.
  • Once they assess the nature of my follies, I will be instructed to take Ovidrel (HCG) injection to trigger ovulation.
  • 3 days after the Ovidrel (HCG) injection, I am to start Prometrium (vaginal progesterone supplements).
  • 7-10 days after the Ovidrel (HCG) injection, I will have an endometrial biopsy.  This will assess the overall vitality of my endometrium lining and also if my lining contains the chemical b-integrin.  I am not thrilled about this part but oh well!!
So as you can see, for the next month or so, I'll have a strict schedule to abide by.  I'm in the process of creating a calendar that tracks the cycle dates and testing dates.  I feel good that we're making process even if it's one day, one test, one pill and one injection at a time.  I'm sure the end product will be the sweetest thing ever.




0 comments: